$1.776 billion in public money flowing into Trump's fund.
This story broke just yesterday and it's one of the more extraordinary developments of Trump's second term. Here's how it unfolded.
The backstory begins with Trump's tax returns. Trump sued the IRS in late January over the leak of his tax information by an IRS employee, Charles "Chaz" Littlejohn, in 2019 and 2020. The lawsuit sought $10 billion in damages. The problem was that Trump was essentially suing his own administration — a government he controls — and even he acknowledged the awkwardness of it. When asked about the lawsuit last year, Trump admitted "it sort of looks bad," and told reporters he would donate any money he receives to charity. "It's awfully strange to make a decision where I'm paying myself," he said. YouTubeC-SPAN
The charity promise has now been abandoned entirely. On Monday, Trump's Justice Department announced the creation of a $1.776 billion "Anti-Weaponization Fund" as part of a settlement that resolves the IRS lawsuit. Officials said the fund will "provide a systematic process to hear and redress claims of others who suffered weaponization and lawfare." The dollar amount — $1.776 billion — is not accidental given the country's approaching 250th anniversary. CoinDesk
The mechanics of the deal raise serious structural concerns. The fund will receive its money from the federal Judgment Fund, a permanent Treasury appropriation used to pay certain legal settlements and judgments against the federal government. A five-member commission appointed by acting Attorney General Todd Blanche will oversee it. The conflict of interest embedded in that arrangement is hard to overstate — Blanche previously served as Trump's personal defense attorney, including in the federal cases against the president over his alleged efforts to overturn the 2020 election and mishandling of classified documents. The Dallas ExpressThe Dallas Express
The timing was also engineered to avoid judicial scrutiny. A Miami federal court filing dropping the lawsuit effectively barred a judge from analyzing whether the president's civil suit was legally valid — the move came days before the judge had ordered Trump and the DOJ to justify why the case should proceed at all. YouTube
Who stands to benefit is the core controversy. The fund could be used to compensate Trump allies investigated under Biden, including the nearly 1,600 people charged in connection with January 6. The DOJ said there are no "partisan requirements" for applicants and that anyone who believes they've been unfairly persecuted could seek a payout as well as an apology — but given who controls the five-member commission, critics find that framing unconvincing. CoinDesk
As for Trump himself, the settlement terms are expected to prohibit Trump from directly receiving payments related to the three legal claims, however entities associated with Trump are not explicitly barred from filing additional claims. The Dallas Express
The reaction from Democrats has been unusually unified and pointed. Senator Elizabeth Warren called it "an insane level of corruption — even for Trump," describing it as a slush fund for Trump's hand-picked stooges to hand money to January 6 insurrectionists and political allies. Senator Ron Wyden called it "among the most corrupt acts in American political history." A coalition of 93 members of Congress has already filed a legal brief challenging the arrangement. CoinDesk
The through line connecting this to the shadow docket conversation is worth noting — the deal was structured specifically to be executed before a judge could rule on its legality, which is a pattern of racing past judicial oversight that critics argue has become a governing strategy rather than an occasional tactic.
Based on what the search results already revealed, the short answer is: almost nobody with any independence has any oversight.
The fund is overseen by a five-member commission appointed by Todd Blanche, the acting Attorney General. Blanche himself was Trump's personal criminal defense attorney before taking the job — he defended Trump in the federal election interference case and the classified documents case. So the person appointing the commission is someone whose entire recent career was built on loyalty to the man who will benefit politically from the fund's disbursements.
The DOJ said one member of the commission will be selected in consultation with congressional leadership, which provides a thin veneer of legislative input, but given the Republican majority in both chambers that's not a meaningful check. The Dallas Express
There is no independent judicial oversight baked into the structure. In fact, as noted, the lawsuit was dropped specifically to prevent the presiding judge from ruling on its validity before the deal was done. Congress could theoretically hold hearings or pass legislation, but the Republican majority has shown little appetite for either when it comes to Trump. The Government Accountability Office and Inspector General offices that would normally flag something like this have been significantly weakened or had their leadership replaced during this administration.
So in practical terms the answer is: the commission answers to Blanche, Blanche answers to Trump, and the deal was engineered to exit the courthouse before a judge could weigh in. The only real oversight mechanism left is litigation brought by outside groups — Democracy Forward has already vowed to fight it — and whatever a court ultimately decides if one of those challenges survives long enough to get a ruling.
After Trump filed a lawsuit against the IRS — an agency he controls as president. He then directed his own Justice Department, led by his former personal criminal defense attorney, to settle that lawsuit using taxpayer money from the federal Judgment Fund, which requires no congressional appropriation. The deal was finalized on a timeline specifically designed to outrun a federal judge who had ordered both sides to justify why the case should continue at all. The result is $1.776 billion in public money flowing into a fund controlled by a commission appointed by his own AG, with the explicit expectation that it will flow to his political allies including January 6 defendants.
And yes — congressional Republicans have been largely silent. There has been no serious calls for investigation from the Senate Judiciary Committee, no subpoenas, no floor votes. The handful of Republicans who occasionally push back on Trump — a Susan Collins here, a Lisa Murkowski there — have not made this a line in the sand. The architecture of the GOP caucus right now is such that the political cost of crossing Trump, as Cassidy and potentially Massie are discovering this very week, is severe enough that most members have calculated that silence is the only survivable option.
What makes it particularly striking is that this is arguably more straightforwardly corrupt than anything that triggered impeachment proceedings against prior presidents. A sitting president directing government money to himself and his allies through an agency he controls, using a legal settlement with no judicial sign-off, would have been a five-alarm constitutional crisis in any prior era. The normalization of it — the fact that it lands as one story among many in a busy news week — is itself part of the story.